One and a half year after the start of the Pakistan’s Operation Zarb-e-Azb, phenomenal successes have been achieved:
- Last pockets close to Pakistan – Afghan Border are being cleared.
- Terrorists’ backbone was broken and their main infrastructure was dismantled. Nexus with sleeper cells were largely disrupted. Intelligence Based Operations (IBOs) continue to burst remaining sleeper cells.
- 3400 terrorists were killed, 837 hideouts from where they were carrying out their terrorists activities have been destroyed
- During the last 18 month over 13200 IBOs have been carried out across the country. 183 terrorists were killed and 21,193 were arrested. IBOs continue.
- Success came at a heavy price, as 488 valiant officers and men of Pakistan Army, Frontier Corps KPK, Baluchistan, Rangers Sind sacrificed their lives and 1914 were injured in Operation Zarb-e-Azb.
- A total of 11 military courts were placed in action, with 142 cases referred to the military courts. Of them, 55 cases were decided, 87 cases are in process and 31 terrorists are convicted.
- Support of entire nation for its valiant armed forces and resolve expressed versus terrorism post 16 December Army Public School, Peshawar attack has been bedrock for Operation Zarb-e-Azb.
- There is an overall improvement in security / law and order due to Operation Zarb-e-Azb. Festivities, national events, celebrations can take place safely and stability has been achieved.
Weapons, ammunition, explosive and communication equipment were recuperated during Operation Zarb-e-Azb.
On 14 June, Pakistani Defence Minister Khawaja Asif announced that Operation Zarb-e-Azb [Strike of Muhammad’s Sword] had entered its final phase. The long awaited military action began in June 2014 and is aimed at foreign and local terrorists residing in North Waziristan.
Another measure of success that can be cited is the considerable decline in the number of incidents and lethality of terrorist attacks in Pakistan since the beginning of the operation. The effectiveness of the overall counter-terrorism campaign will become clearer in the coming years.